Thursday, October 14, 2010

Time's flying in the MTC!!

Mi familia!!!!!
By the beard of Zeus, it's P-day again!!! Man its crazy how time flies in the MTC.  I'm stoked that I get to write again, but not so stoked that my brain has to explode for the fastest 30 minutes of my life.  I'll try to write the important stuff.  I never know if I should just tell you about what is going on with me or respond to your letters, but here it goes.  By the way, I can only write letters on P-day and, believe it or not, P-days are super busy.  Thanks for all the letters and stuff though, I really do appreciate them.  They make my day!
Dad:  Sorry to hear that work is a little slow right now.  I'm teaching an "investigator" tonight who is worried about providing for his family because he doesn't have a lot of work.  We are going to share Jacob 2:18-19 with him.  (I'm not trying to criticize or anything, but remember where your priorities are:).  It's pretty easy to stay focused on what's important on a mission and it's amazing how much joy I have being here.  It's strange how the things we usually make the least amount of time for are the things that bring us the most happiness.  I loved what you said in your letter, "I'm trying to act when I feel moved to do something, even if it is kind of awkward."  That is exactly what missionary work feels like!  It's the awkward things that we are most blessed for it seems like.  By the way, there is a whole district going to Cochabamba, Bolivia, in my zone.  They're all great guys and I tell them that they are in for a great mission from what my dad tells me.
Mom:  (After all the thank yous for the things sent to him and requests for additional items needed like socks, sweatshirt, another notebook, and snickerdoodles, he writes...) You mentioned after seeing a Nicaraguan news clip, that you had the impression that I will feel a great love for the people of Nicaragua.  Honestly, I feel like I already do.  When it gets really hard to stay cooped up in a classroom all day, I know I am doing this for them.  I'm so excited to be able to get out in the field and bring everyone I meet the best thing that they could ever have.  Actually, more like help them realize it for themselves.  You also said in your letter, "if we are obedient and diligent in our callings, responsibilities and stewardships, life is going to bring us great joy even though the road may be hard at times."  I know that is so true.  It's amazing because everyone in this world wants to be happy, it is why we exist (2 Nephi 2:25), but a very, very small percentage know where to find it.  One of my new favorite scriptures is Mark 8:35.  I know that serving others is a huge part of that happiness.
WEEKLY CHALLENGE FOR EVERYONE:  Forget about yourself and focus on the Lord and others.  I promise that you will have a great week.
Connor and Collin:  BROSKIS!!!!  What's up Nephi and Sam?  Thanks for your letters.  I loved them!  Connor, just as you know that I should be here, I also know that I should be.  I also know that it's where both of you should be very soon.  Look forward to it because it's the greatest thing ever!  On to important stuff...I'm glad that you're keeping the jersey alive.  I best be hearing about you sporting the colors soon.  Hall of Fame=GENIUS!!  Collin, I loved hearing about you wanting to help your friend.  Don't have a lot of time to give a ton of advice now, but here is one of my favorite quotes from my MTC teacher; "If they can FEEL your love, you can NEVER be too bold."  For now, follow the Spirit and ask Heavenly Father for guidance.
Aubrey and Ava:  My two lovely sisters!  Thanks for the letters Aub.  I really did love them.  I hate to say this, but they won't let me wear the bracelet you made me in the MTC.  Psh!  That's so cool that you're singing in church for the primary program.  I've grown to love the hymns in the MTC even more than I did before.  I loved the story about you and Ava watching the Testaments movie and you teaching her about Jesus.  You both are so sweet spirited and keep being a good example to Ava.  She looks up to you a lot.  AVA!  I love hearing goofy stories about you!  I told everyone in my district and every gosh darn missionary I see that you are praying for them!  Mom said that you want me to come home soon.  I say, "I'LL GET THERE WHEN I GET THERE!!!!"  Please send me some more pictures soon.:)
About me, gosh, I dunno.  I'm still soooo happy and I still love being a missionary.  I've learned way to much in one week to write down in one e-mail.  Like I mentioned before it can be tedious sitting in class all day, but it's always worth it.  I love learning as much as we do in one day.  Oh yeah, believe it or not, the volleyball here ain't half bad.  I know that it's time to serve the Lord and not play volleyball, but it's kind of my release here at the MTC.  Sometimes we have gym with the "polys" and they all pretty much invented volleyball.  Everything feels like its rolling pretty good now.  I feel a lot more comfortable with Spanish (what I know so far) and I'm getting more used to talking to people in Spanish.  It was hilarious the other day...I fell asleep for like 5 minutes (don't worry-it was the only time) when I was doing this Spanish learning thing on the computer.  Elders Galvan and Waite from my district came in, cranked the volume on my headphones, and played an audio flashcard that said "VIVIR".  In my sleep, I slowly raised my head up and repeated "VIIIVVVIIIRRRR".  Spanish, man, it gets in your head!
I'm so glad that you all are reading the scriptures everyday.  It is SOOO important and I know that it's the most important thing that you'll do all day.  Keep it up!  There have been so many instances this week where I've been teaching, some of them in Spanish, where I've felt the spirit so strong.  I'm starting to realize more and more that I'm just an instrument in the Lord's hands as a missionary.  Whatever happens is what He wants.   I just have to be well tuned.  Where, when, how, and why He is going to use me is completely up to Him.  I challenge you all to do the same.
Wow, I actually have two minutes left and now I don't know what to talk about.  Well, how about this.  Do missionary work.  It's super duper important!  Be bold about proclaiming the gospel.  We want other people to have what makes us the most happy in our lives.  One thing that I've learned so much about is that this work is focused all around the investigator.  First show love for friends and neighbors, and then teach them principles of the gospel that are applicable to their exact needs.  If you're living righteously, then I promise the Lord will help you!
I love you soooooo much family and I hope to hear from you soon!!!
Love, Elder Ward  

No comments:

Post a Comment