Monday, February 14, 2011

I will carry on in the work of the Lord

Querido familia,

Tears came to my eyes as I read both of your letters [Mom and Dad]...not tears of sadness, at least I don’t think so, but more tears of joy because I learned something very valuable this week.

This week there was one day that was super tough (I want to say that it was Thursday). I woke up with a pounding headache and just did not feel motivated at all. In the morning I prayed for the strength to be able to work hard and we left the house. We had a whole bunch of appointments up with lots of our progressing investigators and even had a member helping us. Absolutely nobody was home, didn’t have time to talk to us, or didn’t accept us. It was tough but we tried to stay positive and just kept working.

At night we had a lesson with the Familia Chavarria. They have progressed so much and we basically just went to share a quick message and to schedule an appointment for their baptismal interviews. Unfortunately, Hermano Jose still has problems with drinking coffee. We had a powerful lesson on the power of the atonement and how the Savior can help us to overcome temptation. Elder Rodriguez and I both bore powerful testimony and we knew that they had felt the spirit. At the end of the lesson we committed him to live the Word of Wisdom and he basically said he’d try...sort of. 

We both walked home hurting spiritually for this family. I was so tired and I felt something that I’ve never felt before. I can’t even explain it but I hurt so bad for this family but at the same time I felt hope that they would be baptized. That night I prayed for understanding of why we had to have days like the one that we had and the impression I had is this...

We don’t exactly understand everything about the Atonement but we do know that it is a real power that changes people’s lives forever. I think that sometimes we suffer so that we can feel a little of what the Savior went through for us. I don’t know why and can´t even explain it but I feel like I felt a lit bit of what the Savior suffered for the familia Chavarria that day. Oddly enough, I felt even more love for them...I feel like I felt a portion of the love that the Savior has for them.

I’m sorry to hear that this week was a tough one but I know that our trials are the moments that we can learn from the most. We should be grateful for the opportunities that we have to learn and Mom I’m glad that you focused on your blessings that day. 

Dad, I felt a sweet spirit as I read your letter about Brother Jones. He truly is one of my heroes and I take so much comfort in knowing that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we will be able to see him again one day. I will carry on in the work of the Lord and proclaim the gospel that Brother Jones lived and loved.

Man...I don’t even know if this letter makes sense. It’s so hard to put feelings and thoughts in words especially when every word has red squigglies underneath it because supposedly I’m spelling everything wrong (Spanish spell check). A couple other things from this week...

We’re going to baptize and marry Mayory and her husband, Francisco, this week so we’re super stoked about that! We had interviews with the president this week which was pretty awesome. The stake has a new mission plan that is super awesome. It has a lot to do with the story of Alma and Amulek and that they are basically our Amuleks.  The ward members have already begun to help us a lot and like I said last week, their help is SO crucial. I operated on myself this week by removing part of an ingrown toenail...and I think it’s the Lord´s blessing that my toe is completely fine now. 

Anyways this letter is super long. Just know that I love you all so much and keep fighting through the trials. Maybe the whole family is experiencing a bit of the pain that the Savior suffered for the people in Nicaragua. If that’s the case, I’m glad that our family can suffer a little to help the families here be happy forever.

I’m super happy and my testimony grows so much every day. I’ll keep Grandma Peart in my prayers this week. You guys are the best and love you like crazy. Happy Valentine’s Day!!!!
Also...I love you guys a bunch. Oh yeah...and I pooped out another worm this week. Think I'm gonna go buy deparasite pills.

GROSS!!!!!

Love,

Elder Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment