Monday, February 7, 2011

The greatest blessings require the greatest sacrifices

Querido famila,

Man, I know I say this every week but it sure is good to hear from you. I realized that I don’t always respond to what you say in your letters so I’ll take some time to do that.

Man! Ava you need to eat! That’s kinda freaky that she was so sick [and lost so much weight]. Now, imagine that—not because she is sick—but because you don’t have any food to eat. I really am learning to be more grateful for what we have because we take SO much for granted. And Aubrey if you’re worried about having a cell phone, just know that lots of the kids here don’t even think about that because they’re more worried about if they will be able to have enough food to eat that day... J

I’m learning so much every week on the mission. I love the work so much but this month is going to be a tough one I think. It’s funny because Elder Rodriguez and I said a couple of times in January that we were going to suffer in February. This week has been tough but in a good way. We worked so hard to have all of our possibilities for baptism come to church this week but, unfortunately, only a few came. I’m learning that almost always the greatest blessings require the greatest sacrifices.

I feel like I’m starting to really get the hang of things which is good, thanks to my companion and the Lord. A lot of the times we get to a house and he doesn’t even talk at first...not because he doesn’t want to or doesn’t know what to say, but because he wants me to learn. I think that we could all learn from his example...that the Lord always blesses us more when we put other people first.

We started eating with the members of the ward this week which is pretty sweet because there isn’t a lot of time to visit the members and they are the key to missionary work. I’ll say that again... THE MEMBERS ARE THE KEY TO MISSIONARY WORK. Sometimes we have tried everything to get someone to overcome a problem and get to church and eventually be baptized but the members are the key. So...to everyone that reads this letter...DO MISSIONARY WORK. It isn’t just something that we should do if an opportunity presents itself. We should be looking to share the gospel with our friends and neighbors every day because there just aren’t enough missionaries to do the work.

It’s been a while since I’ve given a challenge of the week so make a list of your friends and neighbors and pray about those that the Lord will prepare them to hear the gospel. Invite them to church, FHE, to listen to the missionaries.

Anyways...we’re working hard together with our investigators and battling the ingrato Satan so that they can be baptized very soon. Thanks for all of your prayers because we’re seeing miracles in their lives and ours. For example, the familia Chavarria say family prayers at 5 in the morning by themselves now. J

Also...yes mom, I did hear that Joey is zone leader which is way sweet. We write each other every other week. Also, I haven’t gotten my package yet. Bummer I know! Haha. But it’ll be even sweeter when I do get it. I’ll let you know when it comes!

Anyways, sorry that this letter is kind of lame without any good stories or anything... Next week will have better stories for sure. J Just know that I miss you guys a ton and I’m so grateful to have a blessed eternal family. You all make me suuuuper happy!

Con amor,

Elder Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment