Monday, January 31, 2011

Questions????

¡ Hola querido familia!

So it’s definitely way good to hear from you guys and once again I have so much to write about in so little time. But the questions are way awesome! So I’ll just go with those for now.
1. Did you get your birthday package?  No, I didn’t get my package yet :( but it’s all good. I actually got grandma and grandpa’s package that day, so that was pretty awesome. By the way, my birthday was way good.  It was pretty much a normal missionary day, but we went to have a ward council meeting when the familia Ortiz  walked into the church all excited (there’s like 10 of them and they’re way awesome).  They were adamant that I come outside. There was a big cake sitting on a table outside along with some of the members in the ward.  It was a special surprise!  They do this funny thing here.  After singing happy b-day (in English which is hilarious), they say muerda la queque! (I spelled that wrong but it means “bite the cake”). Then they push your face in the cake.  Supposedly it’s a surprise every time they do it?

2. How is your Spanish coming? My Spanish is coming along really well. It’s kind of weird, we try to speak English in the house at night so that my companion can learn, but I’m starting to forget English. I think that’s a good thing. I can understand people more naturally now, but there are still some things that I don’t understand. The Lord has blessed me a lot with that though.

3.  Have you lost any weight or stayed about the same?  I think I’ve lost weight honestly. Everyone from the MTC says that I look skinnier. Also...I pooped out a worm. Sweet, huh? Actually, we don’t know for sure if the parasite was from me or my companion. It’s a mystery really. It was pretty nuts to see a little maggot like thing swimming in the toilet. Don’t worry mom...I’ll be ok if it is me that has parasites.

4. Is it hot at night or does it cool down?  It’s actually perfect at night and I have absolutely no problem sleeping. But, freak during the day it gets way hot and the sun just cooks you. But, it’s definitely worth it to be able to serve the people here.

5. What sports do you play on p-day?  Sports on p-day...duh...soccer.  Haha, it’s pretty cool there are always kids playing here and there is a field on just about every corner. Believe it or not I can actually keep up with some of the Latinos in the zone. Today I scored the goal to win it all! :)

6. What is your favorite food there, besides McDonald’s?  Ok food...honestly, the food here is pretty good. They cook with TONS of oil though, and it’s pretty typical to have rice and beans and some kind of banana cooked in 20 different ways.  I don’t even know what the food is called though, so I couldn’t tell you.  I had this soup the other day that was way good. They go all out to make soups here...not like wussy chicken noodle soup. They also always make "fresco" or juice out of blended fresh tropical fruit and its SUPER good. They’re really surprised when I tell them that we drink water for meals.  I guess it’s like an abomination!

7.  Ava wants to know if you have bunk beds?  Nope, don’t have bunk beds haha. But, lots of people sleep in hammocks here. I swear Masaya is the hammock capital of the world.

8.  Have you explored any parts of Nicaragua on p-days? Have you seen the ocean yet?  Well, I wish that we could explore parts of Nicaragua but we can’t get permission to do much until we baptize more because our zone has been struggling for the past couple of months. It really is a tough zone, but Elder Rodriguez and I don’t let it get to us because with the Lord’s help nothing is impossible. I did go to a sweet lagoon once though.

9. What are the names of the families you are teaching and their status? (Dad thought it would be great for us to be able to pray for them)  Ok, for the most important part! Familia Chavarria¨are awesome!  They’re the ones that we go to do family prayers with at 5 in the morning. The missionaries have been coming to teach them for about a year.  They’ve had lots of obstacles to get over, but they’re all coming to church and we’re visiting them every night. Tonight we’ll have FHE with them which will be way sweet.
Familia Vegas are the old couple I told you about and we love them to death. They have been married forever and are super faithful. The husband, Felix, told us that he had a dream that he and his wife were walking in a white field holding hands and that their whole family was there and they were dressed in white clothing. Towards the end of his story he began to cry and said that he felt so much joy in that dream.  The next day we came for the first time to teach them about the temple. They want so badly to go to the temple and be baptized.  He just had an operation on his eyes and has to battle with lots of health problems, but I know that their great faith will get them through it.
Mauricio: my freakin stud comp put a baptismal date with this guy in a CONTACT.  How sweet is that? Right now we’re teaching him and he’s battling with quitting smoking, but he’s super stoked to get baptized.
Milena is the daughter of a member that is about 14 yrs old. At first she said she’d get baptized and then she had doubts.  She prayed about it after we helped her clear up some of those doubts.  She got her answer, but STILL doesn’t want to do it. Some people require lots of patience. haha
Jorge has never been interested in religion before and is such a humble guy. He’s a farmer that used to live in the mountains and is pretty quiet but is SO excited about the gospel. He told us that he is exactly like Joseph Smith in that he was always looking for the gospel but never could find it until now.
Anyways there are more people but were hoping to have lots of baptisms this month because these people and more all have baptismal dates. But your prayers would be greatly appreciated because were doing all that we can so the rest depends on the Lord.
Man I love you guys a bunch and its good to hear from you. Man...I got a little carried away this letter. It’s a long one, so I hope you enjoy. Anyways, I’ll talk to you next week and just remember that I love you!

Love,
Elder Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment