Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Baptism on Valentine's Day!!!

Esteli P-day (In the North Mission)

Esteli 2




Trevor Praying....and Sleeping
Dearest Family,

I think that every week that goes by in my mission I become more and more grateful for our family...and to be honest, Mom, we are so blessed.  I spent a lot of time thinking about that this week.  Some days I spend a lot of time in the car, driving all over Nicaragua, and to tell you the truth, it’s a hard place to live in for lots of people.  One thing that really got me was when we pulled up to a stoplight and a little girl with tattered clothes, bare feet, and a dirty face, tapped on the window asking me for one cordoba (1/24th of a dollar).  I looked back at the Pricesmart assorted cookies and figured that she and her mom, who sat watching close by, needed them more than the missionaries did, so I gave her the box.  I love the people here in Nicaragua.

This week has been amazing.  On Saturday we baptized Glenda and Jose and they were both so stoked about it.  Monday we had an FHE with this HUGE inactive family (it’s actually little Jose´s family) which was awesome.  Everyone was laughing and having an awesome time.  All of them are really really big and we played this game which involved changing from seat to seat.  The best was when the dad sat on this little red bucket and it exploded.  Tuesday we baptized Miguel, which was also super legit.  He bore a powerful testimony afterwards and was super happy to baptized on Valentine´s day, because he "did it to show that he loves God."  Also on Tuesday night we found out that Jaime and Juana´s divorce paper finally came!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means that they’re getting baptized next week along with two other families that the other elders in the office are baptizing so it’s gonna be a bombaso.  

One of these days the toilet in the office wasn’t flushing so I took off the lid to try and fix it (doing a good deed you know). Unfortunately, when I went to put the lid back on it slipped out of my wet hand. A little piece chipped off the top but luckily it was covered up by the lid...then all of a sudden a gushing waterfall poured out of a crack that went from the top to the bottom of the tank.  Whoops.  It was fun telling President about why there was a river in the office...

What else...this woman went to church on Sunday who is super awesome.  She was baptized when she was 14 but had been inactive for years.  She said that that week she was super sick, had had serious problems with her neighbor to the point where she was going to move out, hadn’t eaten anything for about a week, and her drug addict son hadn’t come home from being out on the street for four days.  She told us all this after church and told us that after going to church, her pains went away, her son came home, her mom came to visit who she’s seen three times in 14 years, that her neighbor hasn’t bothered them at all, and that she ate a nice big lunch.  This week her husband, son, her daughter and her husband, and four grandkids above the age of 8 are committed to going to church.  The little kids came to play basketball with us at the church this morning.  We were trying to think of an appropriate game for them when "Poison" popped into my head.  They LOVED it.

Welllllll, I’ve got so much more to write about but just know that I still love being a missionary.  It’s weird that all my friends are coming home but I’m fine with being out here a little longer :).  I know that Christ is our Savior and that we are children of God and that this gospel is the only way to find true happiness.  Live it and love it.

Ok bye...lub you!!!!!!!!

Elder Ward
Glenda's Baptism
Jose's Baptism
Miguel's Baptism on Valentine's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment