Saturday, April 7, 2012

Always Remember Him

Dearest Family,

This week I’ve been thinking a lot about our Savior, Jesus Christ. I think that it’s really easy for us missionaries to forget who we are representatives of. This week is known as "La Semana Santa" here in Nicaragua and other countries in Central America. Everyone gets work off since Wednesday (even the banks and govt.) and either go to the beach and get totally wasted, and if they don’t do that, they go and buy one of those plastic pools with the cool designs on the side and cram the whole family in them because it’s scorching hot outside. I was witnessing all of this one day and I thought...do they really know what this week is all about?

It dawned on me the that very, very few of them really do...and that’s when my job as a missionary seemed so much more important. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Christ. Mom, I read something this week that can be compared to the story that you shared with me. Joseph and Mary had left the Passover feast and had traveled about 3 days towards their home in Nazareth when they realized that Jesus was not in their company. They returned back to the city where they found him in the temple, teaching the Pharisees and scribes, who were asking him questions and marveling at his knowledge. In modern language they said something like, "What in the world are you doing here, you scared me and your father half to death?!" And that’s when Jesus replies, "Widst ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?" I know that I am doing the work of my Heavenly Father, and like you said, I know that I am never alone.

This week was awesome. We brought a super awesome family to conference on Sunday. They brought 5 little kids walking with us that I love to death. Two of the girls, Neftali (6) and Natalie (8), wanted to hold my hands the whole way to the church and back. They taught me all the songs they learned from school and I taught them some words in English. It must be awesome to have little kids of your own...anyways, it made me miss my brothers and sisters for a little while. Their parents, Carlos and Delvia, are excited to get married and baptized on the 21st. Also, Norma, Tonio, and Ruth are SO AWESOME!!! Everyone in the whole neighborhood is talking about how it’s a miracle that Toñio stopped drinking and is going to be baptized because he’s telling the world about it.

Anyways, want to have time to write a few more letters, but I just want to tell you guys that I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and our Redeemer. He continues to perform miracles in the lives of those who come unto Him. Through His grace, we can become His disciples and if we take advantage of that atoning sacrifice we can have eternal life. Always remember Him, and remember the best gift that we can give Him is living as He did. Happy Easter and I love you guys a bunch!

Love,

Elder Ward


No comments:

Post a Comment