Saturday, July 7, 2012

I'm Still Going Strong


Volcano Boarders
Hey guys!

Cerro Negro (Black Hill)
Sorry that it took me a while to write again. President gave us a nice little surprise on Thursday. He asked what we had planned for today (Saturday) and we told him nothing because President’s counselor had to take the truck to visit one of the branches. He told us that he was going to take us to Leon, so that’s where we were all day and where we just got back from. I think my companion was the most stoked about it, considering that that is where he’s from haha. It was super weird; we saw his house, his high school, every now and then he would say, "Hey, I know that guy!" The highlight was Cerro Negro, or Black Hill, which is an active volcano. I’ll just say that volcano boarding is pretty sweet :).

Anyways...this week has been very busy. Sadly enough it was one of those weeks where we didn’t get out to our area as much as we would have liked. Sunday was NUTS. I think that we really take for granted how awesome our ward is. Sunday, as you know, was fast and testimony meeting. Some of my most fervent prayers in the mission have been that our investigator’s eyes and ears will be miraculously closed in those meetings…haha. First speaker: Harold Castillo. Crazy old man, no teeth, cusses like crazy and says the most ridiculous nonsense in the world about how he sold his soul to the devil for 50 million dollars blah, blah, blah. 3rd speaker: An evangelical-mormon lady who apparently had some bad feelings towards a member that stood up and SCREAMED about hypocrisy and love. Elders’ quorum was the same talk about how we’ll be condemned for not doing home teaching visits. Also, I learned that you can only get the Priesthood if it is given to you in the room where the Elders’ quorum class is. Interesting... We’re working hard with the members too.:)

Our recent converts are awesome! Everyone is starting to give us referrals and we’re starting to go with them to teach lessons. It’s truly amazing how much they help in the work. Last night we taught a lady with one of our sharpest converts, Juana, and she bore a powerful testimony of how she wanted nothing to do with the church at first but really became converted when she read and prayed about the Book of Mormon. A cool little miracle happened this week. Ricardo, another recent convert, took us to a family and at the end of the lesson we gave a blessing to the daughter’s sick child. The next day she was running around just fine and now the whole family is very interested in our message. We taught them how they would get an answer from the Spirit and the daughter said, "honestly, that’s what I felt when you gave my daughter a blessing and when you guys were teaching me now." I love it when the investigators recognize the Spirit!

Mom, to answer your question the whole office still lives together in the same house. It’s a way cool house and we’re excited about being there. Also, I’ve already been told that I will start training a new financier starting next Wednesday. It’s kinda weird since I’ve been here for so long. Random comment...I’m so glad we get circumcised when we’re born because there is an elder staying in the office house because of that. OUCH!

Don’t worry about me though, I’m still goin strong. I taught the lesson in district meeting on "enduring to the end".  I used the example of a marathon runner. I’m sure dad is familiar with this phrase known as "The Wall", when your body has used up all of its nutrients and is basically just going on empty. It’s the time where you either drop out of the race completely or give it your all and just keep pushing. We’re all gonna hit "The Wall" various times in life, but the question is what will we do when we hit it? I love you guys a bunch and let’s keep running towards our eternal finish line.

Love,
Elder Ward

volcan=conquistado
PS. I hate to talk about this but here it goes. There is a young bishop who helps us out in the office who is a really good friend of mine and is offering to drive us around for free when you guys come to Nicaragua. In other words, we would just have to pay him with meals. I know everything pretty well so I could do it, but I want to know what you guys think. He’s done it for quite a few other missionaries and he says it’s nice because they can just sit and talk while he drives. He’s also offering to come pick you up from the airport and stuff when you get here and could drive you around so you don’t get lost. You’d probably have to pay him a little for those days that you’re here without me. It’s up to you guys though. Just let me know. LOVE YOU!


Welcome to my City (Elder Ward and Elder Santana)

The Horsecream man

No comments:

Post a Comment