Saturday, July 28, 2012

Why Do I Do What I Do?

Hey!

How is everyone doin? It was good to hear about your trip to California and Dad and Collin’s camping trip. We just got back from a little trip of our own. We went to San Juan Del Sur this morning, which is SUPER beautiful...played some volleyball on the beach and hiked up to the big Jesus statue that is there.

Before I forget, I want to answer Dad’s question. Why do I do what I do every day in Nicaragua? I’ll share an experience that I had this week to answer that question. We didn’t have much time to work in our area this week because we had training meetings from Tuesday till Friday and we had to be there to translate. This week I’ve been trying really hard to "be the man", like you said, and just work as if I had been in this area for only a couple of weeks. Well, all of our appts. fell through but we had one appt. that was going to be crucial. I know that I’ve talked a little about Henry and Maricela, the family that I’ve been teaching since I got here (about 8 months). Henry is still struggling with his alcohol addiction. We went with a recent convert, Jaime, who had also overcome a serious addiction to coffee. We had prepared so well, and I knew that the Spirit was there. Even with all of that, Henry, who I really have come to love, seemed to just shake it off and just kept changing the subject. When we invited him to repent of his sins he just said, "We’ll see."

We came home, planned, and I just threw myself onto my bed, completely exhausted and still in my missionary clothes. I began to think about the events of the day…oh, I had lost my bag with my scriptures in it that day as well. Anyways...I just asked myself, "Why am I doing what I’m doing if I don’t seem to be making a difference?" In that moment I got a call from Elder Call, who is serving in my old area in Ciudad Sandino. He began to tell me that a family that I baptized that had become inactive was active again and that he had given them some pictures that I had sent to another family, Edwin and Mercedes. He said that when they saw the photos they began to cry and express how grateful they were for the gospel and for us missionaries and that they would continue strong for the rest of their lives.

Well, that pretty much changed my whole attitude. That was my answer to WHY I was there. So here is my answer. First, Jesus Christ. I could never REPAY Him for all that He has done for me and you, but I can MAKE IT WORTH IT. Two, the joy that comes from seeing people come unto Christ is unlike any other.

Anyways, that’s my experience from the week. As you can tell, I’m still here in the office.:) I learned SO much from the training meetings we had this week. Our AP’s sister, Alisha Payne, was one of the sisters that was in the Preach my Gospel DVD’s, "The District". So she came and taught us a bunch of stuff. The gift of tongues is something real. I had never translated for anyone before and I was amazed that I could with the Lord’s help.

Um...well, I think that’s pretty much it for this week. I love you guys a bunch and here is a challenge for this week. Pray for missionary experiences and ACT on them. I promise that you will have them and that you will feel the joy that I do. :)

Love,
Elder Ward

Here are a few pictures that Sister Pace sent to me from their visit to Nicaragua to pick up their son, Collin, at the end of his mission.
Elder Ward with Elder Pace and his parents.
The "goodbye" as Elder Pace heads home to Arizona

Elder Ward (right) with Elder Pace (middle) and other office elders.

Quote Sister Pace found at Trevor's desk.


No comments:

Post a Comment