Monday, August 27, 2012

The Good Samaritan

Hey Family!!!

Man...sometimes it’s a lot to take in when you guys write me: volleyball tryouts, funny stories, spiritual counsel, car crashes, you name it...More than anything I want to thank you for your spiritual counsel. I was asked to speak in church on Sunday and I actually
used that same quote:

“If you do not magnify your callings, God will hold you responsible for those whom you might have saved had you done your duty”

It was basically about the importance of "rescuing" inactive members since it’s a big problem here. I also talked a little about Eddie Aikau (Dad might appreciate that). I’ve thought about that quote and the quote that you sent me, Dad. Honestly, I feel like we’ve worked hard these last two weeks but that we haven’t made much progress. It may be the week that I’ve gotten rejected the most in my mission. I feel like what the Lord really might be doing is testing if I really will push through all the way. One big success is that Elder Comfort is coming along pretty well. When you’re in the service of the Lord you can’t really lose because if nothing else we’re coming out better people than we were when we started.

All right, enough crying on my part. Here’s a funny story told in scripture form because that’s how Elder Comfort and I thought of it:

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain drunk man went down from Jerusalem to Jinotepe, and fell down in the middle of the street, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

31 And by chance there came down a certain man selling bread that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

32 And likewise a taxi driver, who almost ran him over, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

33 But two certain missionaries, as they journeyed, came where he was: and when they saw him, they had bcompassion on him, and said, "Dude, Elder Comfort...this drunk guy is gonna get rocked by a car...let´s move him to the side of the road!"

34 And they went to him, and tried to wake him up, when suddenly he woke up kicking and punching the air violently...saying every kind of obscenity that you could ever imagine, causing all of the neighbors to come out of their houses. Then, without further hesitation...the two missionaries departed saying amongst themselves..."So much for the Good Samaritan."

Anyway, that’s my story for the week. We’re working hard to find some new families to teach and going strong with the one investigator that we have. He has a baptismal date for the 8th so we’re going to do all that we can to get him there. By the way, we didn’t feel any earthquake or anything. This week a missionary came home from the Panama, Panama City mission. It was cool being able to tell him that I know President Ward. Anyway...not much else from me...love you guys and be good!

Love,

Elder Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment