Monday, September 17, 2012

Finish My Course With Joy

Ramon's Baptism
Dearest Familia,

I’m not going to lie it feels really weird knowing that I have very little time left to serve the Lord as a full-time missionary. I don’t want to focus too much on that but, just to get it out of the way, here is my response to your encouragement to "finish strong":

Elder Ward, Elder Comfort and their District
“But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Just trying to finish my course with joy :) And this week has been a very joyful one. Let me start off with an interesting story...We had an appointment to go and visit a family that was a referral from the members. The husband’s sister just passed away about a week ago and we knew that it was going to be a good experience. We came to the door and the wife told us to come in. That’s when a crazy old woman, who appeared to be unhappy that we were there from the very first sight, came up and said in English, "Do you know what really pisses me off??? That you guys can come to my country but that I can’t go to yours!" Elder Comfort and I were pretty shocked. She went on to explain how the US government (and when she referred to the govt. she said "you guys") had taken away everything she had, had tried to kill her, etc. When she finally gave us a chance to talk I explained that even though we were from the United States and Canada (go figure) we were representing Jesus Christ and that our purpose was simply to help people like her that had had hard times to come closer to Him. Well...no matter what we said she was COMPLETELY convinced that we were spies from the govt. and that we were there to ruin her life. A taxi came up from behind us and our potential investigator asked us to help take the food in that they brought from the market. As we went to grab the sacks of food the crazy lady grabbed our arms and told us not to touch the food. It was a crazy experience but I feel like the Spirit really helped us to know what to say. We kind of just laughed about if afterwards. We still call each other "Agent Comfort and Agent Ward" every now and then.
Elder Ward, Ramon, Elder Comfort
We had a baptism this Saturday! Haha…I don’t even think I told you guys that we were going to have one but our investigator, Ramon, got baptized. He’s a really good guy and had a tough past so it’s really cool to see how the Lord has changed him. He even showed up to church with a white shirt and tie yesterday and looked like a stud. I’ll send some pics. Our whole zone is pretty excited because everyone is starting to see that this isn’t really the "No Baptizing Zone".

Ana and Adonis are so golden. I love that family so much and they have an unbelievable amount of faith. They came to church yesterday and LOVED it. The members came and welcomed them, including the bishop. They are super excited about getting married. They read the BOM every day and they said that they know it’s true. When we taught them about the Word of Wisdom they said, "Well...we drink coffee every day but it looks like we’re not going to do that anymore." And that was the end of that haha. Adonis even said that he doesn’t want to go back to the military because he wants time to be with his family and go to church. They even asked us what they have to wear to their baptism and at what time it’s going to be at in two weeks haha.
I’ve taken some time to think about them along with the other amazing people that have changed my life on my mission and I’m so grateful for their examples of faith. After seeing miracles like that it’s impossible to not know that this is the true church and that Jesus Christ lives. I’ve come to realize that what was at one point a belief for me has turned into a sure knowledge. THAT is what should motivate all of us to finish strong.

Question? What day are you guys coming again? Haha because I think our zone is going to San Juan del Sur next Monday. I’m pretty sure you won’t be there yet (which is probably good) but maybe I’ll leave you a note in the sand or something. I was gonna ask if you could maybe bring a pair of tennis shoes for me and some jeans (mine don’t really fit anymore). Anyways...I love you guys a ton and I’m super stoked for you to come!!! In the meantime...still going strong.
Love,

Elder Ward
Never too old for a crown at Burger King!
 
Elder Ward and Elder Comfort (Jinotepe)
 
Elder Chacaj & Elder Ward in Granada
 

No comments:

Post a Comment