Saturday, November 20, 2010

Finish Strong!

Elder Trevor Ward and Elder Jacob Myers (A friend form our CA days)
Que Pasaaa mi familia?

So. I'll be honest. I dont really know what to write right now so we'll see how everything turns out. I didn't have time to write down what I wanted to say so here comes some random thoughts.
First off, I ran into a couple people this week! I saw Aunt Karla in the temple this morning which was way awesome! It's weird seeing people from the outside world. The MTC is like a bubble inside the bubble that is Provo. Weirdest experience though was TRC on Thursday. We go in there and sit down to begin teaching an "investigator" who is supposedly a raging alcoholic and was just divorced about a couple of weeks ago. We get in there and knew we'd had this volunteer before (he's one of the old timers). Right when I say my name he says, "Elder Ward, do you have family in California?" and I said "Yeah, my grandma and grandpa Ward live in Long Beach." He then said, "JOHN WARD?!" and then the whole raging alcoholic thing was out the door. He just started going off in English about how Grandpa Ward was one of his good friends and how much he admired him even though he hadn't seen him for 50 years or so. Afterwards, we talked for a while and he gave me a note to give to grandpa. I'll probably be writing them soon to send them the note and to say hi! It was pretty funny though.
Well, I think I'm going to leave some e-mail time to write later today because there's a good chance that we will get our travel plans today. I'm pretty excited about it, so I'm hoping that I'll get to write you about it later tonight. If not I'll let you know as soon as possible.
Thanks for sending my Christmas package Mom. Its super weird to think that you already had to send it. I had a feeling mail would take forever to get down there. Thanks for sending stuff for my companion also. I was going to tell you that today even though it was probably too late. Thanks for your's and dad's letters as well. I receive multiple witnesses every day that this is where I'm supposed to be, and it is such a great feeling. I'm glad that you were able to feel that same feeling in the temple. Looking back at the experiences and trials I've been through, I'm so grateful. I'm so grateful that my trials have brought me closer to Christ so that I can testify from personal experience that the Atonement really does work. Dad, I loved your story about the lady working to get the stains out of the clothes in the temple. It truly is the greatest miracle that we can ever witness...that even the vilest of sinners can experience a change of heart and be cleansed from sin.
I am SO excited to leave for Nicaragua! This tends to be a time where missionaries start to slack, especially if they feel like they've worked hard in the MTC. Our big focus for the last part of the MTC and for me as district leader is to finish strong. I think that is a principle that we can all apply to ourselves. In order to really consecrate our lives to Christ, we have to give him literally everything. We can't hold back anything, and that means any of our sins or anything that would take us away from Christ. I'm learning more and more that living a righteous life is a constant process. True disciples of Jesus Christ try to devote more and more time and effort every day to Him. So, that's what I'm going to do on my mission. I haven't challenged you guys anything this week but that's the challenge for this week. Devote a little more time every day to the Lord. I promise that it will bless your life, and I'm pretty sure that is why being a missionary is such a blessing.
Devotional was great this Tuesday. Kevin Pearson of the Seventy came and gave a great talk. We all kind of went in with low expectations since it wasn't another Apostle but I learned something this week. It doesn't matter so much who is speaking as long as they are able to bring the Spirit because the Spirit is really the person that teaches us EXACTLY what we need to know. One thing I've been doing is writing down spiritual thoughts and acting on them and it's amazing how subtle those promptings can be. Anyways, he spoke about how we are not average missionaries and that we have been called to succeed. He talked a lot about what I just talked about up above about devoting more and more time to the Lord each day.
I got to host yesterday (meaning I was one of the Elders that welcomed new missionaries arriving to the MTC, took bags, etc). We really do live an amazing culture, one that only the true Church of Jesus Christ would have. It was hard to see families say goodbye to their sons and daughters, sometimes even having to almost literally pull them away from each other. We always said "He/she is in the Lords hands". A sweet old grandma once turned to me with a big smile and tears of not sadness, but joy in her eyes and said, "I know He will, that's why we send them". I know that the mission is the best possible thing I could be doing right now. In just two months I have felt my testimony grow so much and I have learned so many life lessons. I love the Lord and I know that this gospel is true. I know that Christ is our Savior and that His gospel and His atonement allow us to have wonderful, blessed lives. Im so excited to bring that to the people of Nicaragua.
I love you family. I miss you, but this is just a short time compared to eternity. Aubrey, Collin thanks for your letters too. Don't beat yourself up too much about now writing me all the time guys. I do love to get your letters though so keep sending them.:) I will hopefully e-mail you tonight about my travel plans and stuff!!!!
Haha, what the heck is the MT salt water lake? (This is what Ava called the MTC last week.) I love it. Miss you and love you Ava!
Love your brother and son,

Elder Trevor Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment