Friday, November 12, 2010

Sheri Dew and Elder Bednar in one week!!!

HEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
 
Mi familia, debe escribir toda de esta carta en español? Haha just kidding I won't write it in Spanish. Thanks for your e-mail though, dad. It's kind of cool that we can talk Spanish to each other. I never thought of those discolored bananas in that way but thanks for the reminder. I've thought about that a lot here in the MTC. My time is limited right now, so I won't try to write everything in Spanish, but maybe we can talk when I get to call from the airport in 2 1/2 weeks or so. :)
So, it's here again! P-day. Seriously, I CAN NOT BELIEVE how fast the time is going in the MTC!  I hope that all of you are doing well. So, what's new? Honestly, I don't have anything super exciting to write about. I mean, every day is exciting and testimony building things happen, but it really is so hard to explain everything that happens in 30 minutes of e-mail. I have already grown so much here and I can't even begin to explain some of the things that I have experienced thus far.
Anyways, I'll make my best attempt. Sunday was amazing! Elder Durrrant and I had the opportunity to bless the sacrament, which was pretty neat because it was in Spanish. It kind of made the fact that I will be speaking Spanish ALL the time in the next couple weeks more real. I also bore my testimony and it was so awesome because the Spirit was so strong and everyone was bearing powerful testimonies in Spanish. I feel so blessed looking back at where I was my first week here and how much the Lord has strengthened my testimony and how much he has helped me with Spanish. I taught our district the plan of salvation after sacrament. This really got me thinking...about what?... just life, just everything. The plan of salvation truly is an amazing thing. The fact that we know why we're here, where we came from, and where we're going is amazing. We know exactly who we are and what we need to do. Part of my lesson included asking everyone if they wanted a Lifesaver. Elder Rose said, "OH YEAH!!!", and I said, "OK, well Elder Durrant has to do ten push ups". I asked Elder Amis and he, a little more hesitantly, said yes. Elder Durrant then did ten more push ups. Elder Weight then said he didn't want one, but I said, "OK, well here is one anyways in case you want it later", and Elder Durrant did 10 more pushups. This went on the same way as we watched Elder Durrant struggle throught the pushups. No, I was not trying to get back at my companion or something, but I think that this is a miniscule fraction of what the Lord went through for us. He suffered for all of us, beyond what we can imagine, so that we can be cleansed from sin and so that He can carry our burdens. Whether we except the lifesaver or not, he already suffered for it, so we NEED to take advantage of the blessings of the Atonement. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and I'm so happy that we have the Atonement in our lives. It's the thing that makes the whole plan of salvation work.
Anyways, kind of got sidetracked there, but Sheri Dew came and talked to us on Sunday night. It was pretty awesome because it went along with what I was thinking about all day. She talked about how this life is so short compared to eternity, and that what we do here and what we help people do here determines the rest of ETERNITY. She also talked a lot about how we were chosen to come forth in the last generation to battle in the hardest of times. What a responsibility! Let's stand up to it because we promised to do it before we even came here!
Well, would it surprise you if I said that yet another Apostle came to speak to us? Yeah, well Elder Bednar came this week. Let me just say that it was amazing! He is such a great speaker and the Spirit was so strong. He talked a lot about doctrine, and how "doctrine is always the answer". We talked about how a lot of the time we focus on the applications of the gospel rather than the principles and pure doctrine. He said that nobody will be truly converted until they truly understand pure doctrine in their hearts. This talk really hit me hard because it was an answer to my prayers. Earlier this week I just wanted to know all the scriptures and know exactly what could help someone at the exact time. He talked a lot about following the Spirit and preaching simple and pure doctrine. One thing he said that was pretty amazing was, "I just don't have what it takes to be an Apostle, but in His strength I can do all things." To think that Elder Bednar, one of the Lord's Apostles, feels this way is very comforting. I love that he referred to my favorite scripture in Alma 26:12.
I got called to be the branch president on Tuesday, and I feel so blessed to be able to serve my awesome district. Honestly though, I don't think they need much help. If anyone is going to learn anything, it will be me. I just hope that I can lead the way to step it up for the last couple weeks that we're here in the MTC being diligent and obedient in everything.
Well, I miss you guys a bunch! I hope your'e all doing well. Brothers and sisters, please know that I really love you and really want to write but I still have like no time on p-day. Maybe it will change in the field. I"ll try to write you soon. That"s so awesome that you guys are doing well on scripture reading. Can you tell the difference it makes?
Connor and Colllin, I heard about the Preach My Gospel mutual activity. Thats just a very small fraction of what it really feels like and what goes into being a missionary. I STRONGLY encourage you to start reading PMG and to build on your very strong testimonies. Love you bros, and remember how happy you were that night. You get to feel that every day on a mission!
All of you strive to be the very best that you can be and hope to hear from you throughout the week.
 
Much love,
 
Elder Trevor Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment