Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving with the Hollands

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Or in Spanish Feliz Dia de Accion de Gracias...kinda translates awkwardly...

Anyways, I just want you to know first off that I am so thankful for you. I’m bummed that I can’t be there with you today, but in a way I still can be. If it’s possible I’d like it if maybe you could take this letter to dinner and share some of it with the family because most of what I say comes from Elder Holland’s talk that we just heard earlier this morning.

Well, I've been blessed enough to listen to five apostles at the MTC. Pretty amazing. Elder Holland and his WHOLE family came to the MTC for the devotional and it was truly amazing. He got up first and said that he wanted to make it like a family program because Thanksgiving was a day for families. So, don’t worry about me, I had Thanksgiving with the Hollands today!

Elder Holland said that he wants this to be the happiest day of our lives, and honestly this is probably one of the top ones I’ve ever had. He called a couple of missionaries to come and bear their testimonies so that we could all be involved in the family program. One Elder from a South American country bore his testimony of the restoration and how grateful he is for the restored gospel. Another Elder with cystic fibrosis got up, who Elder Holland was very emotional about because he was involved with his mission call. He got up and spoke about the wonderful opportunity of being able to serve in the MTC call center. An Elder from China bore his testimony about how lucky we are to have temples and to be able to worship how and wherever we may because they don’t have that ability in China.

After this, Elder Holland’s grandchildren got up to sing a primary hymn. This is the part that I think really got me. It was a little chaotic and funny, just how family gatherings usually are, and I felt right at home. The Spirit was so strong as his cute little grandchildren brought the Spirit.

Elder Holland said after this that virtually everything we are grateful for has to do with another person. Virtually everything we rejoice in and love comes from someone else, mortal or divine. He said, "Of all the mortals in my life, I am more grateful for her (Sister Holland) than any other. I'm grateful today for Sister Holland."

It was amazing to feel the love that Elder Holland has for his wife and grandkids and it made me think that families truly are one of the greatest—easily the greatest—blessing we have in this life. Why do you think Heavenly Father wants HIS family to return back to live with Him? How can you not know that we have a loving Father in Heaven when you see the smiling face of a child singing a primary hymn? I am so thankful for you, family. I love you more than words can describe. I'm especially thankful for you, mom and dad, for all that you have taught me and for helping me to get where I am today.

Sister Holland's talk was very touching. She said, "Do you have any idea how much the Savior loves you? Please, know how much the Savior loves you. Referring to her children and grandchildren she said, "They are my blessing." She referred to the primary hymn that the kids sang and how we have so much to be grateful for. She expressed how grateful she was for her husband and what a great man that he is. She gave a powerful testimony of Jesus Christ and testified that we will have the angels of heaven on our side.

Elder Holland then got up to speak again. The reason that I want to share so much about his talk is because everything that was expressed in it is exactly what I’m grateful for myself. Elder Holland said, "I wanted my grandchildren to see you." And let me remind you of how amazingly powerful his talks are (this was not an exception). He said, “My mission meant EVERYTHING to me. I’ve said it on every continent. And when these children saw you, I wanted them to want to serve a mission.”

He said, “We are not at liberty to destroy the tradition of missionary work. This is the only tradition in the church. If we had a symbol it would be two Elders or sisters.” He went on to say something like, “Thank You. Remember when you are tempted to not do your very best on your mission, remember me standing here this day with my grandchildren times a million who expect you to be nothing but perfect.”

So family, I hope that I can live up to the expectations that you have for me. And remember this, if you remember anything from me, brothers, sisters and cousins...That you are children of God. You have all been chosen by Heavenly Father to do great things. To the boys: Don’t even ever ever ever think of not going on a mission because it is the greatest responsibility and the greatest blessing of your lives. To the girls: Don’t you ever settle for anything less than a temple marriage and to be the very best person that you could be. I hope and pray that i can set a good example for you.

Elder Holland went on to say what he was thankful for—and I ditto what he said completely—this is what I’m thankful for this day as a missionary:

1. I am grateful that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost know us by name. Elder Holland talked about the importance of names in the scriptures and that even though this church has so much grandeur and continues to grow rapidly, Heavenly Father knows US personally. I know that to be true. I know that my calling is a personal one and I know that our lives are so important to Heavenly Father individually. I’m so thankful for all the blessings that He has given to us on this earth.

2. I’m grateful that the Savior, Father and Holy Ghost have always had compassion on the poor. This part of Elder Holland’s message really struck me because I know of the poor people in the world there are many in Nicaragua, the place that I will be in in less than four days. He said in this day of abundance most of the world will not eat. He talked about how feeding and helping the poor is such a common theme in the Book of Mormon and in being able to retain a remission of sins. I’m even more thankful to be able to serve in Nicaragua now because I have an opportunity to serve those people. He said something very important. "This is the most abundant time in the history of mankind...Let’s remember where it all came from. I've been to some of the poorest places on earth. I want you to identify with these people. It could be the greatest blessing of your mission. Maybe nothing will change you more than to suffer, work and eat among those people. So many children go to sleep hungry every night of their life. Go live with them and love them, come home and never forget it. The Savior spent most of his time with these people."

3. I’m grateful that the Savior could perform the Atonement alone. My mission will be hard but the Atonement was the only thing that anyone ever had to do completely alone. In the amazing way that Elder Holland does, he described how everyone betrayed Jesus, and even when He thought that He would still have His Father, he had to leave Him too. I am so grateful, even though I cannot comprehend it, for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. We would literally be nothing without it. We have an obligation that goes along with that! He doesn’t want to carry us alone any more and that is why I’m so grateful to be a missionary, to have the opportunity to help Him in that great work. I love you so much family. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know that the Lord will protect me in Nicaragua and I’m so so so excited to get down there. Be grateful today for everything!

Love so much,
Elder Trevor Ward

My District: Elder Galvan, Elder Waite, Elder Rose, Elder Amis, Elder Durrant (my companion), Elder Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment