Monday, June 13, 2011

Put Your Trust in the Lord


Dearest Family,

Man, I’m not even sure what to think after reading both of your letters. I’m filled with a lot of mixed emotions, part of them happiness because you had an awesome week but at the same time I’m a little shocked by what’s going on with Grandma Ward (she begins chemotherapy this week) and Taylor McBride (who returned home from his mission with a major head injury). Its kinda weird thinking about Utah (mom that just made me really trunky for about 10 seconds when you said that the ski resorts are still open over there) and all the stuff I used to do, but it makes me excited to think about the day when I come back being able to say that I did everything the Lord needed me to do in Nicaragua.

I don’t think anyone can truly comprehend the Atonement of Jesus Christ or the affect that it has in our lives, but I feel like this week I understood just a little bit more. After reading this letter it makes me realize just how much our Savior Jesus Christ means to us. This week we went to go visit one of our recent converts, Felix Vegas (one of our grandparents), and we found him slumped in his old rocking chair.  The life seemed to be sucked out of him. His eyes didn’t light up as they usually do whenever we come and we realized something was wrong. He told us that his son had died and that his wife (Hermana Rosita) was in the hospital. The Spirit was so strong as we talked about the Atonement and the Plan of Salvation with him. It felt good to promise him that he could see his son again.

We tried to go back and find him a couple of more times that week with no success. Little did we know, he was having a pretty tough week with all that was going on. Yesterday, we came rolling in to church and there he was sitting with the bishop. As I started to talk to him he just started to cry. He told us about how hard his week had been and that he had left his son’s funeral to be able to come to church and feel the love of the Savior. That really got me. How many of us would go to church after a week of pure misery, knowing that’s where we could receive comfort. After church we went to visit Hermana Rosita in the hospital with all of the relief society. We walked in and she had her normal cheery smile on her face. We had been informed that she still didn’t know about the sudden death of her son and all thought, well, maybe that’s why she’s so happy. We sang a few hymns with her and the Spirit was super strong. She said that she was feeling better and knew that Jesus Christ had been there to help her along the way. She also asked, with tears in her eyes, that we would pray for her son who passed away. It was amazing to see the love of the relief society and we talked to her about the Savior and his wonderful plan. The Spirit was so strong and I think everyone was in tears. She gave a powerful testimony and there was no doubt in her voice when she said that she knew she could see her son again and that the Lord loved her. It was amazing to see that as we were leaving there was pure joy on her face, a pure joy that comes from knowing that she has a Savior that loves her and knows her.

I can’t really put the whole experience in words but it was amazing to see the faith of this old couple who have only been members for about 2 months now. They let their tests and trials strengthen their testimony of the Savior and they put all their trust in him in their trials. To grandma Ward and Taylor McBride, put your trust in Him. One of my favorite scriptures is Alma 7:11-13. He knows EXACTLY how to comfort us because he has already been through it. I’ll keep you in my prayers and thanks for being good examples for me always.

This week we found the most awesome family I’ve ever met. They’ve had tons of problems in the past, personally and in their family, and they are just so ready to hear the gospel. We taught them the restoration last night and when we asked them what they were feeling they said, ¨well, I know its true.¨ They accepted a baptismal date and the husband gave a powerful prayer to end the lesson, in which he said, ¨please help us to be members of your true church.¨ AWESOME!

Other random things....I removed my ingrown toenail this morning. I just bit down on a sock and went for it. You can call me Dr. Ward from now on. I had a root beer two days ago. It was like pure gold in my mouth. I’m ready to have changes but I’m really, really going to miss this ward and the people here. Mom, if you could maybe send me some of that bed head gel that would be way awesome. Anyways, everything is going good. We’re hoping to baptize the mom of Donald and Freddy this weekend and we had a lot of investigators in church so that was sweet. I love you guys a bunch and keep enjoying life!

Love,

Elder Ward


PS: Random question….I know you said that you guys wanted to possibly pick me up after my mission in Nicaragua. Is that still a plan? Haha. I’m not trunky or anything, just wondering if I should buy a machete now or later.


No comments:

Post a Comment