Monday, July 11, 2011

I'm still loving my mission!

July 11, 2011
Mis seres queridos,

What’s up?! Man you guys sure did have a lot to write about. I’m not gonna lie, I’m a little bit jealous that you guys were all at the beach house. But...it’s ok because we went to the beach for p-day today. We played soccer and kinda just hung out. It was fun, but not quite the same when you just have to sit and watch the waves. Dude, Connor, that’s nuts that you got stung by a stingray, and way to not be a baby about it. Missions coming up soon dude!

Before I forget...here are the answers to your questions mom:
1. Elder Mejia is a zone leader too. He’s ZL1 and I’m ZL2. He’s a way good leader too so it’s sweet to able to learn from him.
2. Our area doesn’t go all the way to the ocean but it goes to about 40 min away. Our area is all pretty close together.
3. Responsibilities...a ton. In our zone we have 19 missionaries and basically we just have to make sure everyone is having success. Zone meetings every Friday, call the DL´s for their numbers every day, meetings with the stake leaders, lots of meetings with the president, taking care of stuff like mail, health, and other random stuff, making sure everyone has good retention of recent converts, keeping everyone animated and working...it’s a lot but I’m learning a ton. It’s a little different cuz we don’t always have time to work in our own area, but it’s a blessing to be able to help the other missionaries and get to know them. It’s overwhelming at times but I know that the Lord will help me as He has in the past.
4. Oh, they actually have a washing machine, but they don’t iron. I’ve grown to appreciate all the ironing you’ve done for me in my life mom, especially because I burnt my finger this morning. (I’m dumb, I know)

This week has been pretty eventful. I’ve been getting to know the area, the members, the investigators, the other elders, tons of stuff. Wednesday was pretty sweet. We had a big dinner for all of the bishops from the stake and their wives and the stake president. We cooked dinner for them to suck up to them first, had a guy that I swear is over 100 yrs old play guitar and sing for them, and then presented a sweet new plan to work with the members. Each ward is going to have at least 6 families called to be ward missionaries and we’re going to capacitate them to be missionaries. Everyone was pretty excited about it, and we are pretty confident that it’ll bring a lot of success. Seriously, the members are the KEY to missionary work.

We’re teaching a family of 6 that’s way awesome and were hoping to baptize them at the end of the month. It’s amazing to see how the gospel brings light and joy into the lives of these people. I think that’s one of the greatest blessings of the mission, being able to see the joy that they experience as they come closer to Christ. Anyways...I’m happy and I’m still loving my mission. I miss you guys and I love you a bunch! Way to go for continuing the scripture challenge!

Love,

Elder Ward

PS. Dad, I love that talk by Elder Holland. I have a copy of it and it’s helped out quite a bit. It’s true what he says, the mission makes you into who you’ll be for eternity, and my mission means a lot to me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment