Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Mom

Dear Family (but especially Mom),

I think this may have been the busiest week that you’ve had in a long time! Sorry to hear that the volleyball team didn’t win, but no biggie. I’m sure you had a bunch of fun this season C Dawg. Zach’s on his mission which is super awesome, you guys practically planned a wedding reception for Grandpa and Grandma, …the fun just never ends. Anyways, I won’t take too much time to write because I’m going to talk to you guys tomorrow, but I just wanted to say a couple things about my mom.

1. There is a famous saying that goes something like, "You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone." This is the farthest I’ve been away from my mom and for the longest time and let’s just say that I realize just how much she does for me. I’m just talking about the temporal things: cleaning, washing clothes, grocery shopping, you name it...

 2. I think that my mom is so amazing that when I was growing up I just thought that was how all moms were. I was oblivious to the fact that a large majority of the families in the world have so many problems. In my mission I have met so many women that grieve for their children that have serious addictions or have traveled so far off the path that it seems that they won’t ever come back. They admit that it was because they didn’t teach them the right things. I’m so grateful to have a mom that teaches and lives the gospel.

3. Maybe one of the reasons why I never truly appreciated all that my mom does is that she gives the purest kind of service that there is: the kind that goes almost entirely unnoticed by any earthly being. I can’t imagine how many hours my mom has spent in the service of the Lord and of his children. My mom has taught me that when we serve we are storing up treasures in heaven. I’m sure that I will leave my fairly sized home in heaven quite often to go and visit my mom’s elaborate mansion. When I got called to serve in the office, it wasn’t the first thing I wanted to do and often I’m asked to do things that I really don’t want to do (like grocery shopping, etc.), but I’ve learned from my mom’s example to just do it and do it with a smile.

4. My mom has taught me to love people unconditionally. When I’ve had tough companions or tough investigators I’ve often reflected on the example that she gives. I don’t think my mom has ever said a bad thing about anyone and she loves just about everyone. She has helped me to love those that are hardest to get along with.

 5. My mom has taught me to trust in the Lord with all of my heart. I’ve read the story of the stripling warriors many times on my mission and it’s amazing how much I can relate to a story that happened so long ago. As I’ve prepared and served a mission my mom has given me the courage to face my spiritual battles. She has always encouraged me to battle sin and fight with diligence for the Lord’s cause, no matter how big the other army is.

6. I am a missionary because of my mom.

Mom, I love you a bunch and I’m happy stoked to talk to you tomorrow. I’ll tell you guys a little more about my week tomorrow because some awesome stuff happened.

Love,

Elder Ward




No comments:

Post a Comment