Monday, April 18, 2011

"And it's true"

Hoy familia!

What the Heck are you guys doin’ over there? Haha jk.  Wow!  I literally just died reading that story about Ava.  I’ve thought about the movie “Sandlot” a couple of times here because a lot of the kids love playing baseball in the streets and stuff. It sounds like you guys have all been busy lately. Dad, glad to hear that you’ve had some business.  I’ve been wondering about that lately. When things get tough just remember how blessed we are.  People here work to live and over there people work to live in luxury.  Mom, good luck camping, and yes, it is super nuts that I’ll be talking to you guys soon.  I’m not sure how we’ll do it but possibly at that lady’s house again.  More details to come.  To my bros and sisters: Enjoy your lives and what you’re doing because you guys are freakin awesome!
I’ve grown so much this week and I’m pretty sure that this has been the fastest week of the whole mission. The new responsibilities have been tough but I’m slowly learning how to handle them.  I’m starting to be able to find joy in the work again.  To answer your question Dad, I think being senior comp is the harder responsibility [over being district leader].  Elder Garcia doesn’t talk much and I don’t think he has a ton of confidence in himself but I’m working hard to be a good example for him and to help him learn.  Also, it’s kinda crazy having to make all the decisions and stuff but I’m learning to trust in the Spirit more.  Also... I underestimated the challenge of having sisters in the district. They are awesome missionaries and are examples for all of us but they’re still...girls. haha (No offense to anyone.)  They didn’t have investigators at church for the second week in a row and just started bawling right in front of me.  I thought I wouldn’t have to deal with girl drama for two years.  But I’m being patient and just trying to love my district and do everything I can to help.
As always, we’ve seen a couple of miracles this week.  We’re teaching a way awesome family named Juan and Yisela right now and we taught them about the Book of Mormon this week and they were really interested.  We passed by their house a couple days ago because we had an appointment with them and the wife came out to tell us that her husband wasn’t there.  We made an appointment to come back when the husband would be there and were just about to leave when I felt prompted to ask her if she had continued to read the Book of Mormon.  She said, "Yes, I read the part that you wanted me to read, and I remembered that you told me to pray too...so I did, and it’s true."  We were surprised by her response but it truly was amazing to see the miracle of how the Lord answers prayers and how the Book of Mormon establishes our testimonies.
We had stake conference this Sunday which is tough because it’s harder to get people to come.  We had a couple of investigators that just needed one more time in church to get baptized.  We did divisions with the priests in our ward as usual and worked like crazy in the morning to get them there.  Felix Vegas INSISTED on riding his bike by himself even though we wanted to go with him so we committed him to go and had a member pass by for him to encourage him to go.
We get to church...and wait...and wait...and he doesn’t show up. Neither do the other investigators...the hermanas were crying...I felt like crying. For the whole meeting I beat myself up, wondering what I could’ve done differently. We left the chapel like four times to see if he had showed up but he hadn’t. SO BUMMED!  I hate to admit it but for the first time on the mission I just wanted to give up for a little while, go home and take a Sunday nap.  But instead we went to his house later on and he tells us that he DID GO but that he couldn’t find us.  I was so stinkin happy, especially because they’ll get baptized this weekend.  I learned that we should NEVER give up because the Lord will bless us with success, even if we can’t see it right away.
Oh and HAPPY EASTER!!! I’m so grateful for the Lord and His sacrifice especially this week and I know that He is our Lord and Savior. Every blessing that we have comes through Him and I know that we will all live together as a family one day because of His Atonement.  I’m so grateful for the opportunity that I have to bring that message to others.  Remember Him this week and make sacrifices for others to honor Him.

Until next week...

Oh, and I love you guys a bunch!!!!!

Love,

Elder Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment