Monday, August 22, 2011

El Salvador Temple Dedication

August 22, 2011
Hey guys!

It sounds like everything is going super well over there. It’s still weird to me to hear about what everyone is doing and not be there to see it, but it makes me happy. This week has been pretty busy with challenging moments and also with spiritual ones as well.

The highlight of this week was the El Salvador, San Salvador temple dedication yesterday. It was such a spiritual experience and I felt so happy for all the Nicas that will have a temple that much closer. It was interesting because they talked a lot about how the people from here and El Salvador used to sell practically all of their possessions to make the journey to the Mesa, Arizona temple. That really touched me and I’m so grateful that we have temples that allow us to be instructed from on high, and more importantly, where we can perform ordinances that allow us to be together forever.

It makes me so happy to read about how awesome our ward is and that our family is all active in the church. I think sometimes we take for granted that the church is so well established and with lots of good, faithful members. We have been having a really hard time with the members and the leaders here......... I don’t want to focus much on this, but I’m realizing that one of the biggest things here is strengthening the members too. It’s really sad to see great people ruin their lives with pride and money, but I’m learning to be patient and to correct people with love. Seriously, these past two months have been rough, but I’m so thankful for them and all that I’m learning.

Remember that girl, Margarita, I talked about last week? Well she got baptized on Saturday. It was really touching to see how emotional she was before and after her baptism, knowing that every horrible thing she did before was completely cleaned away. It truly built my testimony of the scripture that says, “though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.” I asked her how she felt after and she said. “I feel completely clean and forgiven.”

What else...Nicas are HORRIBLE at skateboarding. Some of the kids like to try it here though. A bunch of less active kids from the ward came up and one had a skateboard. They asked if I could skateboard and I said no, which is the truth, but just did a little trick and they all started flipping out and yelling. I said if they go to church I’d teach em all that I know.  I’m basically a skateboarding god here now. pfff....

Miss you guys a bunch and thanks for sending that package mom! Also, dad, last but not least, ¡feliz cumpleaño! Gracias por ser un buen padre siempre y por ser un buen ejemplo de un poseedor del sacerdocio. Casi estàs muerto, pero no te preocupes, creo que voy a verte antes que eso. Son bromas jajaja pero te amo!

Love,

Elder Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment